



Things started slowly on the third day, but by the end of it we got a full head of steam up and managed to complete four songs; some more roughly than others, and some, surprisingly, went very smoothly.
We started a bit late - Hugh had some guitar troubles - and it took a little time to gel with each other again after a time apart.
Also, I asked Derek McClure to come take some photos on the day. I think he got some great shots.
By 7pm I was completely shattered. I could not do a thing that night.
The results, recording-wise, were very good. The performances could be better. But we managed to do versions of "Looks Like Rain", "It's Time", "This is my time", and "Rescue Me".
Day 4 started with a listen back to what we achieved the day before. Then it was into the studio to start with "Letting Go". This went quite smoothly, although I thought we might be a bit stumped when Hugh suggested he would be better off playing an oud! A couple of takes later and we were in the control room assessing our work. With the wonders of technology we managed to tidy up loose ends without too much effort. Hugh then record a double track of steel string guitar and the song was done.
As the microphones were set up for the acoustic guitar, we then set about recording "Do Something" which features a nylon string guitar. I sang a rough vocal guide to 'help' and it wasn't long before we were done.
We then re-recorded "Looks Like rain". Things went much more smoothly this day.
All that was left to be done was Hugh's solo in "It's Time". He wasn't entirely happy with his efforts from the day before so he tried three more versions and finally felt satisfied with one of them...mind you, I would have been happy with all three!
So, all in all, a bit of a slog but still a very joyous two days of music making. Hugh, Karen, and Gabriel - thank You!





No comments:
Post a Comment