



Our time in the studio recording the new cd is slowly coming to an end. It's a bit sad because I enjoy the studio environment. I often think that the worst day of recording is always better than the equivalent in day jobs.
So a week ago, Gabriel Agostino and I spent the day mixing the new Vincent's Chair CD. It was a long day but a very successful day. We worked efficiently and systematically through each song until we were satisfied. When I finally left the studio, I put it on in my car cd player. I always think if it sounds good in the car, if it passes this 'test', it's probably a good cd. For me, it did pass the test.
It's been a couple of years since we recorded a cd, and in that time the technology has certainly progressed and improved in many ways. This time around I was constantly amazed at the range of options available to us in both the recording and mixing stage. The drawback, or flip side to this, is that one has too many choices to draw from. Regardless of all this, mixing is very taxing on the ears and concentration. Having said this there were many fun moments when Gabriel and I experimented with some interesting ideas.
My hope for this cd is to create a journey of the senses, of the emotions, of the mind. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel, but I do want to make a record of songs that moves the listener through skilled and gifted, even inspired playing, and leave them feeling uplifted. The overall mood of this cd is certainly joyous.
It will be hard to pidgeon-hole this cd into one genre. Does that matter? Not to me, it doesn't. I've always been attracted to artists who write music which is varied and interestingly entertaining. I remember a time when this was important! But I'm tending towards a hobby-horse of mine, and that is for another day. I just hope it will be received in the spirit it is made and given.
Now there is only the mastering to do, and then it's a short wait until we take delivery of the new Vincent's Chair cd. Woo hoo.





No comments:
Post a Comment