Welcome to the official website of singer-songwriter, Kathie Renner and her group, Vincent's Chair. "Enigmatic story-telling and exquisite performances", Vincent's Chair Trio create lush, intimate moments of orchestrated and improvised songs.


Kathie Renner

Vincent's Chair

Sunday, June 7, 2009

Song Update

Last Friday I went to hear my friend, Anita Wardell sing at a little pub in Adelaide. Anita is a jazz singer who is based in London now, but grew up here in Adelaide. We studied together. Anita is a wonderful exponent of the improvised scat singing style of jazz singing, and is truly an extraordinary talent - and she's from Adelaide! I'm feeling very proud and inspired. So much so that I've had a flurry of writing activity this week. Let me tell you about it...

I've been working on a school choral piece which I'm quite taken with, and I think I've just about finished that one off. Stay tuned for details on what it's called and how it sounds sung by a school choir.

I've also decided to put together a funk/groove band, and I need loads of new tunes for it, and I've had a burst of ideas for songs this week too. But again, stay tuned for this one.

I've also had some more ideas for new songs for Vincent's Chair. Now I just have to finish them off! It's a bit mysterious how the flow of ideas for creative pursuits happen. I prefer not to question the process and just be ready for when they come. Watching a special on Joni Mitchell today I noted that she takes a similar approach which I find reassuring. I don't want to give the impression that it's hit or miss - because it isn't - I'm thinking about songs all the time, writing, composing and editting in my head when I'm not sitting at the keyboard or guitar. It's just that I have to open to receiving the ideas when they do come. It's a skill like anything else, but you do need to be receptive and focussed enough to crystalize what you want to say. And I need a lot of time to work at this song writing. Uninterrupted blocks of time.

There's not always a lot of free time to do the things I need to, but I'm happy with things at the moment. It sure beats the rut I was in. Perhaps it was catching up with Anita that spurred things on this week. It's good to have good friends. It's important to be wth like-minded people, and to have mentors, and people you admire and look up to.

It's been a good week this week. Thanks, Anita.

No comments:

Post a Comment